Special Oilwell Operator
This is a non-standardized certificate of competency issued by Alberta. It certifies the operator to operate transportable power plants, with capacity up to 1000 kW, at drilling sites.
This in not a site specific certificate.
The certificate is subject to the annual renewal fee.
Upcoming Dates: FALL 2021
Application Forms must be submitted 21 days prior to the exam date.
Dunmore @ Safety Buzz Campus
Sept. 29, Oct. 19, Oct. 29, Nov. 10, Nov. 23, Dec 8, Dec 22
Calgary @ TBD -> (Port-O-Call or Irwin's Safety)
Oct. 22, Nov. 5, Dec. 3.
Contact us to book Boiler training at your site.
Duration: 8-10 hours
� Complete form�AB-144.
� ABSA recommends completing this fillable word document over handwriting.
� Once form is completed email to firstname.lastname@example.org�for approval by ABSA.� Forms must be completed in full.��
Requirements for this certificate are:
- Previous Certificate: none
- Educational Prerequisites: none
- Acceptance by ABSA
- Photo ID
- Prepayment of Course
- obtained 6 months� experience in an installation that involves a boiler or boilers operating as part of a transportable power plant at a drilling or hydrocarbon production site, or
- successfully completed a vocational course in boiler operation satisfactory to the Administrator.
- A Special Oilwell Operator�s Certificate of Competency examination must consist of questions relating to the subjects contained in the current reference syllabus established by the Administrator for the Special Oilwell Operator�s Certificate of Competency examination.
- The exam consists of one (1) examination paper with 100 multiple-choice questions, 3 hours duration.
- To pass a Special Oilwell Operator�s Certificate of Competency examination, a candidate must obtain at least 65% of the total marks allotted for the examination.
- To apply for examination please click here.
Detailed information in regard to this examination can be found in the Special Oilwell Reference Syllabus (AB-56).